Finding the Leverage Point: You don't have to do everything
The Leveraging Power of Focused Coaching in Leadership
Stop trying to focus on everything at once!
In the world of leadership coaching, there's a unique approach that stands out for its effectiveness: focusing on one key area for improvement. This approach is based on the understanding that improving one pivotal skill can have a cascading positive effect on various aspects of a leader's performance and well-being.
The Power of a Leverage Point:
My work with managers often revolves around identifying and enhancing a leverage point - a critical skill or area that, when improved, elevates their overall leadership capabilities. This targeted approach contrasts with trying to address multiple areas simultaneously, which can lead to feeling overwhelmed and scattered.
Case Study: Mr. New Leader:
Consider the case of “Mr. New Leader,” who entered coaching under stress, struggling with his new role. He was overwhelmed with constantly monitoring his team and experienced conflict with team members. He feared micromanaging but also felt disconnected due to infrequent communication from his own manager.
Focusing on the Coach-Approach:
Our coaching sessions focused on developing a coaching approach to leadership. This approach emphasizes:
- Asking open-ended questions rather than making assumptions.
- Communicating clearly for accountability.
- Proactively initiating conversations, avoiding the passive approach of “hoping things will work out.”
- Clarifying team objectives and trusting the team’s ability to perform, with scheduled check-ins.
Transformative Results. This focused development led to significant improvements:
- Enhanced relationships as team members felt more heard and valued.
- Increased trust through the recognition of strengths.
- Reduced mental bandwidth consumption, leading to better focus on important tasks.
- Empowerment of team members to fully utilize their skills.
- Reduced need for constant monitoring, allowing for more relaxed downtime.
- Improved problem-solving capabilities by valuing team input.
The Impact of Focused Coaching:
As aptly put by a client, “Coaching feels like magic!” This magic unfolds when leaders step away from being overwhelmed by multiple challenges and focus on one pivotal area. Such targeted improvement not only elevates specific skills but also enhances overall leadership effectiveness.
Reflective Call to Action:
I invite you to consider:
What one area, if focused upon, could significantly impact your happiness, joy, well-being, and peace?
Take a moment to journal and trust the insights that emerge.
Your inner wisdom knows the path; it’s about taking the time to listen and act upon it. Focused coaching is a powerful tool in the leadership development arsenal.
By honing in on one key area, leaders can experience profound improvements across the board, leading to more effective leadership and a more fulfilling professional journey.
*Note: Client details in this story have been adapted to maintain confidentiality. The scenarios reflect common themes observed across my extensive coaching experience.
Vicki Haddock is an author, professional leadership coach, and inspirer of others to live their best thriving lives! Ready to dive in deeper but not sure where to start? Consider Registering for the Self-Checkin that Vicki hosts quarterly or grabbing a copy of her book Confidence Unchained!
To receive Vicki’s Wisdom Reflections via email regularly sign up here.